Jesse Mislavsky: I'm Jesse Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this weekend on the 1,4,5,C, E, F, and L lines. These changes will affect service on beginning at 11:30 p.m. Friday, January 27 and end at 5 a.m. Monday, January 30.
These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together. Please be aware, that in addition to the changes you are about to hear, other changes to service due to planned work may affect your trip.
Jesse Mislavsky: This weekend there will be changes on the 1 line. Here’s Jared Elmore from Operations Planning to help you get to your destination.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:30 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, January 27 – 30 there are no 1 trains between 14 St and South Ferry, due to Sandy-related work. As travel alternatives – take 2/3 trains and free shuttle buses.
* Uptown trains skip 18 St, 23 St, and 28 St.
* Downtown trains skip 28 St, 23 St, and 18 St, days and evenings.
* 2/3 trains run local in both directions between 34 St-Penn Station and Chambers St.
* Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between Chambers St and South Ferry.
* Transfer between 1 and 23 trains at Times Sq-42 St or 14 St.
* Transfer between 23 trains and shuttle buses at Chambers St.
Jesse Mislavsky: Also this weekend please expect changes on the 4 line. Jared will give you some alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:45 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, January 27 – 30 there are no 4 trains between New Lots Av/Utica Av and Brooklyn Bridge. This is due to Sandy-related work in the Joralemon Tube.
As travel alternatives – take 2/3/D/J/N/Q/R trains or free shuttle buses.
* 4 service operates between Woodlawn and Brooklyn Bridge, making local stops.
* For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the D/N/Q or R. Transfer between 4/6 and N/Q/R trains at 14 St-Union Sq or Canal St. Transfer between D/N/Q/R and 2/3 trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
* For service to/from Wall St and Bowling Green, use the R (N overnight) at nearby
Rector St or Whitehall St. Or, use the J at Fulton St or Broad St.
* For service to/from Fulton St and between Borough Hall and Franklin Av, take the 2 or 3 instead.
* For service between Franklin Av and Utica Av, take the 3 instead, running all weekend.
* For service between Utica Av and New Lots Av, take free shuttle buses via transfer at Utica Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: In addition, service will be affected on the number 5 line. Please listen carefully as Jared explains.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 6 AM to 11 PM, Saturday, January 28 and 8 AM to 11 PM, Sunday, January 29, there are no 5 trains between Bowling Green and Grand Central-42 St. This is due to Sandy-related work in the Joralemon Tube.
As travel alternatives – take the 4*6 or R trains.
* Trains run between E 180 St/149 St-Grand Concourse and Grand Central-42 St.
* For stations between Grand Central-42 St and Brooklyn Bridge, take the 4 or 6.
* Transfer between 5 and 46 trains at Grand Central-42 St.
* For Fulton St, Wall St, and Bowling Green, use nearby R stations at Cortlandt St,
Rector St, or Whitehall St.
* Transfer between 46 and R trains at Canal St.
* Transfer between 5 and R trains at 59 St-Lexington Av.
*Note: There is no 4 service between Brooklyn Bridge and New Lots Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: If you have to use the C line this weekend, Jared will tell you what you need to do to get where you’re going.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 6:30 AM to 12 midnight, Saturday and Sunday, January 28 – 29, there are no C trains between Manhattan and Brooklyn; trains are rerouted via the F line between W 4 St and 2 Av, the last stop. This is due to switch work at Bergen St.
As travel alternatives – Use A/E/F trains to complete your trip.
* For Spring St, Canal St, and Chambers St, take the A or E.
* For Brooklyn, take the A or F instead.
* Note: F trains are rerouted via the C in Brooklyn.
Jesse Mislavsky: There are changes on the E line that will affect your commute. Jared will elaborate.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:45 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, January 27 – 30 E trains are rerouted via the F between 21 St-Queensbridge and W 4 St. This is due to Sandy-related work in the 53 St Tubes. As travel alternatives – Use 4/6/7/A/C/D/N/R trains and/or free shuttle buses to complete your trip.
* Free shuttle buses run between Court Sq-23 St and 21 St-Queensbridge, stopping at Queens Plaza.
* To/from Queens Plaza, use the R instead (days & evenings); or, the 7N at nearby Queensboro Plaza.
* To/from Court Sq-23 St, use the 7. Transfer between E and 7 trains at 74 St-Roosevelt Av, and/or between 7 and AC trains at Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority.
* To/from Lexington Av/53 St, use the 4 local or 6 at 51 St. Transfer at
Grand Central-42 St 46 and 7; 74 St-Roosevelt Av E and 7; and/or
Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority AC and 7. Or, use out-of-system transfer between the E at Lexington Av/63 St FQ and the 4 local or 6 at 59 St.
* To/from 5 Av/53 St and E stations along 8 Av, use nearby F stations on 6 Av, or the AC instead.
* To/from 7 Av take the D via transfer at 47-50 Sts.
Jesse Mislavsky: There will be a diversion from our regular service on the F line. Jared will give you alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Monday, January 27 – 30 No F trains between Stillwell Av and Jay St-MetroTech; G trains provide alternate service via transfer at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts
As travel alternatives – Use A/D/J trains to complete your trip.
* F trains from Jamaica operate normal to Jay St-MetroTech, and are then rerouted via the C to Euclid Av, the last stop.
* Jamaica-bound F trains originate at Euclid Av, run local via the C to Jay St-MetroTech, and are rerouted via the A to W 4 St.
* To/from York St, use the nearby High St A station.
* To/from Delancey St, take the J via transfer at Fulton St.
* To East Broadway, 2 Av, and B’way-Lafayette St, take the Jamaica-bound F to W 4 St and transfer to a Euclid Av-bound F.
* From East Broadway and 2 Av, take a Euclid Av-bound F to Jay St-MetroTech and transfer to a Jamaica-bound F.
* From B’way-Lafayette St, take an uptown D to W 4 St and transfer to a Jamaica-bound F.
Jesse Mislavsky: There will be a diversion from our regular service on the L line. Jared will give you alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:45 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, January 20 – 30, no L trains between 8 Av and 14 St-Union Sq. This is due to track work and track replacement along the Canarsie line.
As travel alternatives – M14 buses provide alternate service.
* L service operates between 14 St-Union Sq and Rockaway Pkwy.
* Transfer between trains and buses at 14 St-Union Sq.
Jesse Mislavsky: Because construction projects can be canceled, be sure to consult our website, www.mta.info, for Service Status and Planned Service Changes. While there, you may also opt to use our Trip Planner+ which provides you with customized travel directions that take subway service changes into account, while giving you up to three alternate route options.
Also available is our free Email Notification Program. You can sign up for weekday or weekend notifications about both planned reroutes and real-time changes in service.
Finally, you may also dial 511 for travel information for all MTA services. It’s good information, so you’ll “Know Before You Go!”
TransitTrax, I'm Jesse Mislavsky. Thanks for listening, and thanks for riding with New York City Transit.