Jesse Mislavsky: I'm Jesse Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this weekend on the 1, 4, 5, A, C and M. These changes will affect service on beginning at 11:30 p.m. Friday, March 3 and end at 5 a.m. Monday, March 5. These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together. Please be aware, that in addition to the changes you are about to hear, other changes to service due to planned work may affect your trip.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:30 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, March 3 through 6 on the No trains between 14 St and South Ferry
Travel alternatives – Take 23R trains and free shuttle buses.
* Downtown trains skip 28 St, 23 St, and 18 St, days and evenings.
* To/from these stations, take the 2 or 3.
* Shuttle buses run between Chambers St and South Ferry.
* To/from Rector St and South Ferry, use the Rector St and Whitehall St R stations, or Wall St and Bowling Green 45 stations instead. Or, transfer between 23 trains and shuttle buses at Chambers St.
* Transfer between 1 and 23 trains at Times Sq-42 St.
* Transfer between 23 trains and shuttle buses at Chambers St.
Jared Elmore: From 11:30 11:30 PM Fri to 1 AM Mon, Mar 3 – 6 there are no 4 trains between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Woodlawn.
As travel alternatives – Take the D and free shuttle buses instead.
* 4 service operates between New Lots Av/Utica Av and 149 St-Grand Concourse, and is rerouted via the 2 to/from E 180 St.
* Take free shuttle buses between 149 St-Grand Concourse and 161 St-Yankee Stadium.
* To/from 161 St-Yankee Stadium, 167 St, 170 St, Mt Eden Av, 176 St, Burnside Av,
183 St, Fordham Rd, Kingsbridge Rd, and Bedford Pk Blvd, use D service at nearby stations. Crosstown buses run between several 4 and D stations (fare payment required).
* To/from Bedford Pk Blvd, Mosholu Pkwy, and Woodlawn, take free shuttle buses via transfer at the Bedford Pk Blvd D station.
Jesse Mislavsky: There will be a diversion from our regular service on the 5 line. Jared will give you alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: From 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 3 – 6
No 5 trains running
Travel alternatives – Use the 24 and/or free shuttle buses.
* Free shuttle buses operate between Dyre Av and E 180 St, making all stops.
* For service between E 180 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse, take the 2 or 4*.
* For service between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Bowling Green, use the 4.
* *Note: 4 service operates to/from E 180 St from 11:30 PM Fri to 1 AM Mon, Mar 3 – 6
Jesse Mislavsky: There will be a diversion from our regular service on the 7 line. Jared will give you alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: From 12:15 AM Sat to 4:30 AM Mon, Mar 4 – 6 | 7
No trains between 34 St-Hudson Yards and Queensboro Plaza
Travel alternatives – EFNW*S and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
* 7 service operates between Flushing-Main St and Queensboro Plaza.
* Use EFNW trains between Manhattan and Queens.
* Transfer between 7 and NW trains at Queensboro Plaza.
* Transfer between NW trains and shuttle buses at Times Sq-42 St.
* Transfer between 7 and EF trains at 74 St-Roosevelt Av.
* Free shuttle buses run in two segments:
1) Between 34 St-Hudson Yards and Times Sq-42 St.
2) Between Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av and Queensboro Plaza.
* The 42 Street S shuttle operates overnight.
* *Note: W service operates between Whitehall St and Ditmars Blvd from
7 AM to 9 PM on Sat and from 9 AM to 7 PM on Sun.
Jesse Mislavsky: There will be a diversion from our regular service on the J line. Jared will give you alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: On the A line, from 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 3 – 6
And on the C line from 6:30 AM to 11 PM, Sat and Sun, Mar 4 – 5
A and C trains are rerouted via the F in both directions between W 4 St and Jay St-MetroTech
Travel alternatives – Use EJ trains to complete your trip.
* Trains run local between 59 St and W 4 St.
* To/from Spring St, Canal St and Chambers St, take the E instead via transfer at W 4 St.
* To/from Fulton St, take the J instead via transfer at Delancey-Essex Sts F station. Or, use the E at nearby World Trade Center station; transfer between trains at W 4 St.
* To/from High St, use the nearby York St F station.
Jesse Mislavsky: Because construction projects can be canceled, be sure to consult our website, www.mta.info, for Service Status and Planned Service Changes. While there, you may also opt to use our Trip Planner+ which provides you with customized travel directions that take subway service changes into account, while giving you up to three alternate route options.
Also available is our free Email Notification Program. You can sign up for weekday or weekend notifications about both planned reroutes and real-time changes in service.
Finally, you may also dial 511 for travel information for all MTA services. It’s good information, so you’ll “Know Before You Go!”
For TransitTrax, I'm Jesse Mislavsky. Thanks for listening, and thanks for riding with New York City Transit.