Jesse Mislavsky: I'm Jesse Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this weekend on the 2, 3, G, J and M lines. These changes will affect service on beginning at 11:45 p.m. Friday, April 7 and end at 5 a.m. Monday, April 10.
These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together. Please be aware, that in addition to the changes you are about to hear, other changes to service due to planned work may affect your trip. This week there will be changes on the 2 line. Please listen closely as Jared Elmore from Operations Planning explains.
Jared Elmore: From 11:45 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, April 7 to 10 there are no 2 trains between Manhattan and Brooklyn this is due to Sandy work in the Clark St tubes.
As travel alternatives, take the 4,5,N,Q, and R trains instead.
• 2 service operates between E 180 St and Chambers St, and is rerouted via the 1 to/from Rector St, the last stop.
• Downtown trains run local from 96 St to Chambers St.
• Uptown trains run local from Chambers St to 34 St.
• 5 service operates between Flatbush Av and E 180 St, and via the 2 to/from 241 St (express in Manhattan all weekend).
• To/from Park Place, Fulton St, Wall St, Clark St, Borough Hall, and Hoyt St, use nearby 4,5 or R stations instead.
• For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the NQR.
• Transfer between 2,3 and N,Q,R trains at Times Sq-42 St.
• Transfer between 23 and 45 trains via the 42 Street S Shuttle, days and evenings, or via the 7.
• Transfer between N,Q,R and 4,5 trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
As a reminder: Overnight, trains run local in both directions between 96 St and Chambers St.
Jesse Mislavsky: If you plan to use the 3 line Jared will tell you what to do to get where you’re going.
Jared Elmore: From 11:45 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, April 7 – 10 there are no 3 trains between 14 St and New Lots Av. This is due to Sandy-related work in the Clark St. Tubes.
As travel alternatives take the 4, 5, N, Q, and R trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
• 3 service operates all weekend between Harlem-148 St and 14 St (downtown trains run local from 96 St to 14 St).
• 4 service operates all weekend between Woodlawn and Utica Av.
• 5 service operates to/from Flatbush Av all weekend.
• To/from Park Place, Fulton St, Wall St, Clark St, Borough Hall, and Hoyt St, use nearby 45 or R stations.
• For Chambers St, take the 1 or 2.
• For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the 45NQR.
• Free shuttle buses operate all weekend between Utica Av and New Lots Av, making all stops.
• Transfer between trains and shuttle buses at Utica Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: Also this weekend there will be changes along the G line.
Jared Elmore: From 11:45 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday, April 7 – 10 there are no G trains between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Court Sq
Free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
• G service operates between Church Av and Bedford-Nostrand Avs.
• Free shuttle buses operate between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Court Sq, stopping at Myrtle-Willoughby Avs, Flushing Av, Broadway, Metropolitan Av, Nassau Av, Greenpoint Av, and 21 St.
• Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at Bedford-Nostrand Avs.
Jesse Mislavsky: If you need to ride the J line this weekend there will be service changes that impact your commute. Once again Jared Elmore explains.
Jared Elmore: 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Apr 8 – 9 there are no J trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center. There will be track maintenance along the Jamaica line.
As travel alternatives, use free shuttle buses and E trains to complete your trip.
• J service operates between Broad St and Crescent St.
• Free shuttle buses and E trains provide alternate service via Jamaica-Van Wyck. Free shuttle buses operate between Crescent St and 121 St, and connect with the E at Jamaica-Van Wyck, where service to/from Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center is available.
•,Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at Jamaica-Van Wyck and/or Crescent St.
Jesse Mislavsky: And finally, if you intend to take the M line this weekend, there is a change that might affect your travel.
Jared Elmore: No M trains between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, April 7—10.
As travel alternatives - Free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
• M service operates between Essex St and Myrtle Av, and is rerouted via the J to/from Broadway Junction, days/evenings.
• Free shuttle buses make all M stops between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av.
• Transfer between shuttle buses and JM trains at Myrtle Av.
• For direct service to/from Manhattan, use the L via transfer at Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs.
Jesse Mislavsky: Because construction projects can be canceled, be sure to consult our website, www.mta.info, for Service Status and Planned Service Changes. While there, you may also opt to use our Trip Planner+ which provides you with customized travel directions that take subway service changes into account, while giving you up to three alternate route options.
Also available is our free Email Notification Program. You can sign up for weekday or weekend notifications about both planned reroutes and real-time changes in service.
Finally, you may also dial 511 for travel information for all MTA services. It’s good information, so you’ll “Know Before You Go!”
For TransitTrax, I'm Jesse Mislavsky. Thanks for listening, and thanks for riding with New York City Transit.