Jesse Mislavsky: I'm Jesse Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this weekend on the 4, 5, A, and L lines. These changes will affect service on beginning at 11:45 p.m. Friday, May 5 and end at 5 a.m. Monday, May 8. These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together. Please be aware, that in addition to the changes you are about to hear, other changes to service due to planned work may affect your trip.
This week there will be changes on the 2 line. Please listen closely as Jared Elmore from Operations Planning explains.
Jared Elmore: From 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, May 5 – May 8 there are no 4 trains between New Lots Av/Utica Av and Brooklyn Bridge.
As travel alternatives - Take the 2, 3, A, C, D, J, N, Q or R trains instead.
* 4 service operates between Woodlawn and Brooklyn Bridge, making local stops.
* For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the D, N, Q or R. Transfer between 4,6 and N, Q, R trains at 14 St-Union Sq or Canal St. Transfer between D,N,Q,R and 23 trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
* For service to/from Wall St and Bowling Green, use the R (N overnight) at nearby Rector St or Whitehall St. Or, use the J at Broad St.
* For service to/from Fulton St, use the 2, 3, A, C or J.
* For service between Borough Hall and Franklin Av, take the 2 or 3 instead.
* For service between Franklin Av and New Lots Av, take the 3 instead, running in Brooklyn all weekend.
Jesse Mislavsky: If you plan to use the 5 line Jared will tell you what to do to get where you’re going.
Jared Elmore: From 6 AM to 11 PM, Saturday, May 6 and from 8 AM to 11 PM, Sunday, May 7, there are no 5 trains between Bowling Green and Grand Central-42 St
Travel alternatives - Take the 4*6 or R trains instead.
* Trains run between E 180 St and Grand Central-42 St.
* For stations between Grand Central-42 St and Brooklyn Bridge, take the 4 or 6.
* Transfer between 5 and 46 trains at Grand Central-42 St.
* For Fulton St, Wall St, and Bowling Green, use nearby R stations at Cortlandt St,
Rector St, or Whitehall St.
* Transfer between 5 and R trains at 59 St-Lexington Av.
* Transfer between 46 and R trains at Canal St.
* *Note: There is no 4 service between Brooklyn Bridge and New Lots Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: Also this weekend there will be changes along the A line.
Jared Elmore: From 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, ApMay 6-7there are no A trains between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach-JFK Airport.
As travel alternatives - Free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
* A service operates along two routes:
1. Between 207 St and Euclid Av
2. Between Howard Beach-JFK Airport and Far Rockaway
* Free shuttle buses operate in two segments:
1. Between Euclid Av and Howard Beach-JFK Airport, making station stops at
Grant Av, 80 St, 88 St, Rockaway Blvd, 104 St, 111 St, Lefferts Blvd,
Aqueduct Racetrack, and Aqueduct-North Conduit Av.
2. Non-stop between Euclid Av and Howard Beach-JFK Airport.
* Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at Euclid Av and/or Howard Beach/JFK Airport.
* Note: Rockaway Park Shuttle service is unaffected.
Jesse Mislavsky: If you need to ride the L line this weekend there will be service changes that impact your commute. Once again Jared Elmore explains.
Jared Elmore: L From 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, May 5 – 8 No L trains between Broadway Junction and 8 Av
Travel alternatives - JM trains, M14 and free shuttle buses provide alternate service*.
* Take the M to 14 St (6 Av) for Manhattan service.
* Take the M14 bus between 1 Av and 8 Av.
* Free shuttle buses run in three sections:
1. Between Broadway Junction and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs
2.Between Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Lorimer St-Metropolitan Av G
3. Between Lorimer St-Metropolitan Av G and Marcy Av JM
1. M service operates between Metropolitan Av and the
Lexington Av/63 St F station and via the Q to/from 96 St, from
6 AM to 12 midnight on Sat, and from 8 AM to 11 PM on Sun.
2. Manhattan-bound customers can transfer to the AC or J at Broadway Junction or the M at Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs or Marcy Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: Because construction projects can be canceled, be sure to consult our website, www.mta.info, for Service Status and Planned Service Changes. While there, you may also opt to use our Trip Planner+ which provides you with customized travel directions that take subway service changes into account, while giving you up to three alternate route options.
Also available is our free Email Notification Program. You can sign up for weekday or weekend notifications about both planned reroutes and real-time changes in service.
Finally, you may also dial 511 for travel information for all MTA services. It’s good information, so you’ll “Know Before You Go!”
For TransitTrax, I'm Jesse Mislavsky. Thanks for listening, and thanks for riding with New York City Transit.