Jesse Mislavsky: I'm Jesse Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. This is a special holiday weekend podcast. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this Memorial Day weekend on the 4, 5, L and R lines. These changes will affect service on beginning at 11:30 p.m. Friday, May 26 and end at 5 a.m. Tuesday, May 30. These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together.
This weekend is Memorial Day and there will be significant changes in service. Please listen closely as Jared Elmore from Operations Planning explains.
Jared Elmore: Monday May 29 Memorial Day, subways and buses operate on a Sunday schedule as a result there is:
No 5 service in Brooklyn.
No 6 or 7 express service.
No B service take the A, C, D and/or Q instead.
No W service - Use the N and/or R instead.
No Z service - Take the J instead
Other changes to service due to planned work, may affect your trip. Please consult Service Change Directories or visit mta.info to use TripPlanner+.
Jesse Mislavsky: For those commuters who plan to use the 4 line there will be a change in service that will affect your commute. Jared will explain
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Tues, May 26 – May 30 there are no 4 trains between New Lots Av/Utica Av and Brooklyn Bridge. As travel alternatives - Take the 2, 3, A, C, D, J, N, Q or R trains instead.
* 4 service operates between Woodlawn and Brooklyn Bridge, making local stops.
* For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the D, N, Q or R. Transfer between 4,6 and N, Q, R trains at 14 St-Union Sq or Canal St. Transfer between D,N,Q,R and 23 trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
* For service to/from Wall St and Bowling Green, use the R (N overnight) at nearby Rector St or Whitehall St. Or, use the J at Broad St.
* For service to/from Fulton St, use the 2, 3, A, C or J.
* For service between Borough Hall and Franklin Av, take the 2 or 3 instead.
* For service between Franklin Av and New Lots Av, take the 3 instead, running in Brooklyn all weekend.
Jesse Mislavsky: If you plan to use the 5 line Jared will tell you what to do to get where you’re going.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 6 AM to 11:00 PM, Saturday May 27 and 8AM TO 11 Sunday and May 28 and May 29 No trains between Bowling Green and Grand Central-42 St.
Travel alternatives - Take the 4*6 or R trains instead.
*Trains run every 20 minutes between E 180 St and Grand Central-42 St.
*For stations between Grand Central-42 St and Brooklyn Bridge, take the 4 or 6.
*Transfer between 5 and 46 trains at Grand Central-42 St.
*For Fulton St, Wall St, and Bowling Green, use nearby R stations at Cortlandt St,
Rector St, or Whitehall St.
*Transfer between 5 and R trains at 59 St-Lexington Av.
*Transfer between 46 and R trains at Canal St.
*Note: There is no 4 service between Brooklyn Bridge and New Lots Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: Also this weekend there will be changes along the L line.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:30 PM Friday to 5 AM Tuesday, May 26 – 30, there are no L trains between Broadway Junction and 8 Av.
Travel alternatives - AFJM trains, M14 and free shuttle buses provide alternate service*.
* Take the M to 14 St (6 Av) for Manhattan service.
* Take the M14 bus between 1 Av and 8 Av.
* Free shuttle buses run in three sections:
1. Between Broadway Junction and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs
2. Between Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Lorimer St-Metropolitan Av G
3. Between Lorimer St-Metropolitan Av G and Marcy Av JM
*Note: M service operates between Metropolitan Av and the Lexington Av/63 St F station and via the Q to/from 96 St, from 6 AM to 12 midnight on Sat, and from 8 AM to 12 midnight on Sun and Mon.
To/from Manhattan, transfer between AC and J trains at Broadway Junction, or between shuttle buses and M trains at Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs or Marcy Av.
Jesse Mislavsky: And finally there are changes on the R line.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, May 26 – 29 there are no R trains between Bay Ridge-95 St and 36 St.
Travel alternatives – N trains and free line closure buses provide alternate service.
* R service operates days/evenings between 71 Av and 36 St, Brooklyn, and is rerouted via the D to/from 9 Av.
* Late night R service between Brooklyn and Whitehall St is suspended – take the N and/or free line closure buses.
* Free line closure buses provide alternate service between Bay Ridge-95 St and 36 St all weekend.
* Transfer between trains and free line closure buses at 36 St or 59 St.
Jesse Mislavsky: Because construction projects can be canceled, be sure to consult our website, www.mta.info, for Service Status and Planned Service Changes. While there, you may also opt to use our Trip Planner+ which provides you with customized travel directions that take subway service changes into account, while giving you up to three alternate route options.
Also available is our free Email Notification Program. You can sign up for weekday or weekend notifications about both planned reroutes and real-time changes in service.