Jesse Mislavsky: I'm Jesse Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this weekend on the 1, 3, A, S, F, G, J, N, and R. These changes will affect service beginning at 9:30PM February 9, through 5 AM February 12. These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together.
For those commuters who plan to use the A lines this weekend, there is a service change that will affect your commute. Please listen carefully as Jared Elmore from Operations Planning explains.
Jared Elmore: On Monday, February 19, Presidents’ Day - Subways & buses operate on a Saturday Schedule
· No 2 or 3 service in Brooklyn.
· 4 service runs between Woodlawn and New Lots Av.
· 5 service runs between Flatbush Av and the Bronx.
· No 5, D express service in the Bronx; no 6 or 7 express service.
· No B service - use the ACD and/or Q instead.
· M service runs between Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Metropolitan Av.
· No W service - use the NQ or R.
· No J/Z skip-stop service - take the J local instead.
· Other changes to service due to planned work, may affect your trip. Please consult
Service Change Directories or visit mta.info to use TripPlanner+.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the 1.
Jared Elmore: From 11 PM Fri to 5 AM Tue, Feb 16 – 20 there are no 1 trains between 96 St and 242 St.
Travel alternatives – Take A trains and free shuttle buses.
· 1 service operates between South Ferry and 96 St, and via the 3 to/from 148 St.
· Free shuttle buses provide alternate service along four routes.
· Use the A to nearby stations via transfer at 59 St 1A, 168 St shuttle buses and A,or 207 St shuttle buses and A.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the 3 line.
Jared Elmore: From1 1:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Tue, Feb 16 – 20 there are no 3 trains running.
Travel alternatives – Take the 12 and free shuttle buses.
· 1 trains replace the 3 (trains skip 145 St).
· Free shuttle buses operate between 148 St and 135 St.
· For 145 St, transfer between 12 trains and buses at 135 St.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the A and Shuttle.
Jared Elmore: From 5:30 AM Sat to 7 PM Mon, Feb 17 – 19 No A trains between Howard Beach-JFK and Far Rockaway and no S shuttle between Broad Channel and Beach 90 St
Travel alternatives – Use shuttle buses.
· A service operates between 207 St and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach-JFK Airport.
· S shuttle operates between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park, every 20 minutes.
· Shuttle buses operate along two routes:
1) Non-stop between Far Rockaway and Howard Beach-JFK Airport.
2) Between Rockaway Park and Howard Beach, stopping at Broad Channel.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the F lines.
Jared Elmore: From 9:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Tue, Feb 16 Coney Island-bound F trains are rerouted via the E from Roosevelt Av to Canal St,and via the A to Jay St-MetroTech
Travel alternatives – Use the D or a Jamaica-bound F to complete your trip.
· Use ACE stations along 8 Av or transfer at Roosevelt Av, 7 Av DE, W 4 St,or Jay St-MetroTech.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the G
Jared Elmore: From 4:30 AM Sat to 7 PM Sun, Feb 17 – 18, No G trains between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and Church Av
Travel alternatives – Take buses and ACF trains.
· G service operates in two sections:
1) Between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs.
2) Between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts, every 20 minutes.
· Transfer at Bedford-Nostrand Avs G, Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts ACG,Jay St-MetroTech ACF*, and 4 Av-9 St shuttle buses and F.
· Free shuttle buses operate between Jay St-MetroTech and 4 Av-9 St.
· *F trains skip Bergen St, Carroll St and Smith-9 Sts in both directions during this time.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the J line.
Jared Elmore: From 3:45 AM Sat to 10 PM Mon, Feb 17 – 19, No trains between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center
Travel alternatives – Take free shuttle buses and the E.
· J service operates between Broad St and Broadway Junction.
· Free shuttle buses make all J stops between Broadway Junction and 121 St, and connect with the E at Jamaica-Van Wyck.
· Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at Jamaica-Van Wyck E and/or Broadway Junction J.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the N line.
Jared Elmore: From 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Tue, Feb 16 – 20
No trains between Times Sq-42 St and Queensboro Plaza
Travel alternatives – Take the 467Q.
· N service operates in two sections:
1) Between Stillwell Av and Times Sq-42 St.
2) Between Queensboro Plaza and Astoria.
· For service between Queens and Manhattan, take the 7 via transfer at
Times Sq-42 St and/or Queensboro Plaza.
· To/from 49 St and 57 St-7 Av, take the Q.
· To/from 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St, use the nearby 456 station via transfer with the 7 at Grand Central-42 St or N at 14 St-Union Sq.
Jesse Mislavsky: Additionally, there are changes on the R line.
Jared Elmore: From 5:30 AM to 12 midnight, Sat to Mon, Feb 17 – 19 R Trains rerouted via the F in both directions between 57 St-7 Av and 36 St, Queens.
Travel alternatives – Use 456 and E trains to complete your trip.
· For 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St, use nearby 5 Av/53 St E,Lexington Av/53 St E, and/or 59 St 456 stations.
· For Queens Plaza, take the E instead.
· Transfer at 14 St-Union Sq 456R, Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority E,R,or Roosevelt Av ER.
Jesse Mislavsky: Because construction projects can be canceled, be sure to consult our website, www.mta.info, for Service Status and Planned Service Changes. While there, you may also opt to use our Trip Planner+ which provides you with customized travel directions that take subway service changes into account, while giving you up to three alternate route options.
Also available is our free Email Notification Program. You can sign up for weekday or weekend notifications about both planned reroutes and real-time changes in service.
Finally, you may also dial 511 for travel information for all MTA services. It’s good information, so you’ll “Know Before You Go!”
For TransitTrax, I'm Jesse Mislavsky. Thanks for listening, and thanks for riding with New York City Transit.