Jessie Mislavsky: I'm Jessie Mislavsky, and you're listening to the “Planned Service Changes” for this weekend on TransitTrax, New York City Transit's podcast service. Here's a guide to a few of the significant changes in subway service, scheduled for this weekend on the 1, 3, 4, C, F, J, N and R. These changes will affect service beginning at 9:45 PM Friday July 13, and end at 5 AM on Monday July 16. These changes are due to necessary capital construction and rehabilitation work – work that may cause you to ride backward just to go forward – or change your traveling pattern all together. The first change in subway service this weekend is on the 1 line. Please listen carefully as Jared Elmore from Operations Planning explains.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 9:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jul 13 to 16, there are no 1 trains between South Ferry and Rector St. This is due to track replacement along the Broadway 7 Av line.
As travel alternatives – Take free shuttle buses.
• 1 service runs between 242 St and Rector St.
• Free shuttle buses run between Chambers St and South Ferry.
• Transfer between shuttle buses and 1 trains at Chambers St.
Jessie Mislavsky: There is work being done along the 3 and 4 lines that will affect your commute. Once again, here is Jared Elmore.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 4:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Jul 14 to 15, there are no 3 and 4 trains between New Lots Av and Utica Av. This is due to track replacement along the New Lots line.
As travel alternatives – Take free shuttle buses.
• 3 runs between 148 St and Utica Av.
• 4 runs between Woodlawn and Utica Av.
• Free shuttle buses make all stops between Utica Av and New Lots Av.
• Transfer between 3, 4 trains and shuttle buses at Utica Av.
Jessie Mislavsky: Also this weekend there is work being done that will affect the C line as well. Jared will tell you how to get to your destination.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 9:45 PM to 11:30 PM, Fri, Jul 13, and 6:30 AM to 11:30 PM, Sat and Sun, Jul 14 and 15, there are no C trains between 145 St and 168 St. This is due to station repairs along the 8 Av line.
Travel alternatives – Take the A instead.
• C service runs between Euclid Av and 145 St.
• Uptown A trains stop at 135 St and 155 St.
• Transfer at 125 St or 145 St.
Jessie Mislavsky: There are also changes that will affect those who have to use the F line. Once again here’s Jared to point you in the right direction.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 9:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jul 13 to 16, Jamaica-bound F trains are rerouted
via the E after 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av. This is due to station repairs and track maintenance along the 6 Av line.
Travel alternatives – Use a Coney Island-bound F or the Q to complete your trip.
• For 57 St, take the Jamaica-bound F to the nearby 5 Av/53 St E station.
• To Lexington Av/63 St, transfer to the Q at 34 St-Herald Sq.
• From Lexington Av/63 St, take the Coney Island-bound F to 47-50 Sts and transfer to a Jamaica-bound F.
• To/from Roosevelt Island and 21 St-Queensbridge, take a Coney Island-bound F via transfer at Roosevelt Av (Steinway St after 12:01 AM Sat) or 47-50 Sts.
Jessie Mislavsky: This weekend there is work being done on the J line. Jared will give you some alternate route options.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 5:45 AM to 6 PM, Saturday, Jul 14, there are no J trains between Hewes St and Broad St. This is due to track replacement along the Jamaica line.
Travel alternatives – Take free shuttle buses and/or 4, 6, or F trains.
• J service runs between Jamaica Ctr and Hewes St.
• Buses run between Hewes St and Delancey-Essex Sts.
• Transfer between trains and buses at Hewes St and/or Delancey-Essex Sts F.
• For service between Delancey-Essex Sts and Broad St, use 6 to/from nearby stations via transfer at Bleecker St/B’way Lafayette St. Transfer to/from the 4 at Brooklyn Bridge.
• For service to/from Manhattan, use the A, C or L via transfer at Broadway Junction.
Jessie Mislavsky: There are changes on the N line that may affect your commute. Jared will tell you what you need to do to get where you’re going.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 11 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jul 13 to 16, there are no N trains between Times Sq and Ditmars Blvd. This is due to track replacement along the 60 St tube.
As travel alternatives – Take 4, 5, 6, 7, Q, or R trains and/or shuttle buses.
• N service runs between Stillwell Av and Times Sq.
• Free shuttle buses run between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd.
• For service between Queens and Manhattan, take the 7 via transfer at Times Sq-42 St and/or Queensboro Plaza.
• To/from 49 St and 57 St-7 Av, use the Q or R.
• To/from 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St, use the nearby 59 St 4, 5, 6 station via
transfer with the 7 at Grand Central-42 St or N at 14 St-Union Sq.
Jessie Mislavsky: And finally there are changes along the R line.
Jared Elmore: Beginning 5:30 AM to 12 midnight, Sat and Sun, Jul 14 and 15, R trains are rerouted via the F in both directions between 57 St-7 Av and 36 St, Queens. This is due to track work along the 60 St tube.
As travel alternatives – Use E trains to complete your trip.
• For 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St, use nearby 59 St 4, 5, 6 station via transfer Lexington Av/53 St E or 14 St-Union Sq R.
• For Queens Plaza, take the E instead.
• Transfer at Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority E, R or Roosevelt Av E, R.